National Day of Prayer to End the Coronavirus—Tuesday, March 3, 2020
BridgeBuilders is joining with global leaders in calling for a National Day of Prayer on Tuesday, March 3, asking God to stop the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus around the world and heal the people infected by it.
As of today (Tuesday), COVID-19 has infected more 91,000 people across 60 countries with the death toll exceeding 3,100.
While this is very concerning, to put this number in perspective, the Centers for Disease Control estimates between 291,000 and 646,000 people die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses worldwide each year. The fact that so little is known about COVID19, that it is more contagious than other viruses, and that a vaccine does not yet exist is what in large part has heightened concerns.
In spite of assurances from officials that the risk to the general U.S. public is low, the stockpiling of food and medicines and last week’s stock market loses showed that fear was still spreading. There is concern about the impact on the world economy.
Since this is a global issue, international Christian leaders strongly believe it will take the whole church to pray and call out for the mercy and healing power of God to contain the virus and deescalate fear and unnecessary panic.
Here’s what we know:
- To date there are 108 cases in the U.S. with 6 deaths reported.
- 8,400 individuals are in self-quarantine in California as are hundreds more around the country.
- While COVID-19 coronavirus seems to spread easily, the symptoms tend to be mild, particularly for people who are relatively young and healthy. Most people will recover from this without any treatment.
- Experts currently estimate that COVID-19 has a death rate of about 2.3% for severe cases. Though significant, this is lower than the outbreaks of SARS (9.6%) and MERS (34.4%) a few years ago.
- Those most at risk are the elderly and patients with underlying health conditions or compromised immune systems.
- Quarantines and fears over COVID-19 have resulted in a dramatic slowdown on China, South Korea and Italy in particular, impacting businesses and disrupting critical supply chains around the world. However, in good news, the virus does appear to be slowing down in China, according to World Health Organization numbers.
- The stock market plunged last week, only to come surging back on Monday, with the Dow seeing the biggest gains since 2009. However, we expect to continue to see coronavirus market corrections and much prayer is needed that our economy will not suffer a downturn.
- Heavenly Father, we declare YOUR word in Psalm 91 over our families and the nations. “When we live our lives within the shadow of God Most high, our secret hiding place, we will always be shielded from harm. HOW THEN COULD EVIL PREVAIL AGAINST US OR DISEASE INFECT US?” (Passion Translation, Ps 91: 9-10)
- Lord, we remember how many times YOU have encouraged YOUR people to have no fear. We declare YOUR word: “You will not fear the terror of night…nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.” (Psalm 91:5-6)
- Lord, we declare in Jesus’ name, that as the Church around the world comes into agreement over this issue, that what we bind on earth is bound in heaven (Matthew 18:18) and that this sickness would now be stopped in its tracks! We decree that the coronavirus will cease worldwide and we pray for the complete healing of all currently affected by it.
- Lord, we ask for wisdom for health officials and government decision makers, that they would have accurate information and take wise action needed to contain and stop the spread of the virus.
- Father of Truth, we pray that the media would likewise be restrained from hype or exaggeration to boost their ratings through sensationalism and stoking fear.
- We pray, Lord, for YOUR supernatural power to be evident and that the Body of Christ would mobilize to pray for the sick and that healing miracles and salvations would be widespread.
- Lord, we give YOU praise that the U.S. has so far been spared from any widespread outbreaks. We do not take this lightly. Please continue to give YOUR Church a heart of desperation and awaken us to pray, repent, and turn to YOU.
- We pray for the people in China and Iran, two of the countries hardest hit, that YOU would have mercy on them, protect them and provide supernaturally for them in this time of crisis.
- Many prophetic voices across the world have been prophesying the next global awakening. Forces of evil would like to use this turmoil to either delay or disrupt this. So today we pray that this disease would be a catalyst of global revival as millions face their own mortality and cry out to God instead!
Let’s stand in faith on 2 Chronicles 7:14 that promises if God’s people pray, seek His face, and turn from our wicked ways, then He will heal our land. God will hear our united cry! He will heal the nations if we pray; the tide will turn!