Will Kavanaugh be Confirmed to the Supreme Court? How to Pray!
Cheryl and I are in Washington, DC for the judicial hearings of Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
Tonight we are attending a judicial briefing, and we have been asked to pray during the confirmation hearings, which begin tomorrow (Tuesday, September 4) at 9:30 am (EST). Please join us and the other Christian leaders gathered here in asking God to watch over and guide these historic confirmation hearings.
The importance of the next Supreme Court appointment cannot be overstated. Since many landmark decisions have been made by a 5-4 vote, this appointee will tip the scales of justice.
As we pray over the hearings, it is important to keep in mind that the selection of the next Supreme Court Justice is not about politics or parties, but about the destiny of our nation.
The cases that will come before the High Court in the next half-century will impact the freedom and well-being of our children and future generations and will have far-reaching consequences upon the Church at large to freely spread the gospel… from the pulpit to the marketplace.
Eyes of the Nation on Arizona!
Judge Kavanaugh, 53, is a Yale Law School graduate who has served in Washington for many years in multiple roles. He will need 51 of the 100 Senate votes if he is to fill the vacated seat of Justice Anthony Kennedy for whom he served as a law clerk after graduation.
With a close vote expected, all eyes are on Arizona to see whom Governor Ducey will choose as a successor to fill Senator John McCain’s conservative seat, an appointment who quite possibly could cast the deciding vote in this Supreme Court nominee confirmation process.
- Father in Heaven, we lift before YOU our U.S. Senate, Judge Kavanaugh, and all involved in the confirmation process. We ask that the judicial hearings will be conducted fairly and with civility.
- LORD, we rejoice in YOUR promise: “I will give you good judges again and wise counselors like you used to have. Jerusalem will be called the Home of Justice and the Faithful City” (Isaiah 1: 26).
- Dear God, give courage to Judge Kavanaugh as he is examined this week (Deuteronomy 31:6). Give him peace and wisdom to answer every question with grace, truthfulness and discernment (Col 4:6:). Strengthen and protect Judge Kavanaugh, his wife, Ashley, and their two daughters and keep them out of harm’s way (2 Thessalonians 3:3).
- We pray that every Senator, no matter what party, will have an open heart and mind to seriously consider the qualifications of Judge Kavanaugh and thoughtfully weigh how he or she should vote. We pray that every Senator will do what is best for the country, not just what is expedient for their party or their re-election.
- We hold before you Governor Doug Ducey as he shoulders the difficult and complex responsibility of choosing a successor to fill John McCain’s Senate seat at this crucial time. Omnipotent Father, YOU who knowthe end from the beginning, guide our Governor in making the right choice.
- LORD, we know You have placed our leaders in their positions of authority out of YOUR own will and purpose (Psalm 75:7). We, therefore, declare that the doors YOU have opened for the next Supreme Court Justice, no man can shut, and the doors YOU shut no man can open (Isaiah 22:22).
- We praise and thank YOU, LORD, for your continued faithfulness to our nation and us. We put our trust in YOU, that YOU will fill this Supreme Court vacancy with the person who will best serve the country and YOU. In Jesus’ name, AMEN!
- United States Senate hearings and Meetings
- “5 Facts About Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh,” Action Institute Power blog, July 10, 2018
- “Our Prayer for the Supreme Court,” Center for National Renewal, Washington D.C., July 10, 2018
- “Welcome to the Brett Kavanaugh Show,” Daily Intelligencer, Sunday, September 1, 2018.