Arizona Teachers Walkout Again
Photo: Anne Ryman/The Republic
Teacher Strike moves into Day Six
Arizona teachers will rally at the state Capitol mall again today as the teacher walkout moves into day six.
Earlier this week Governor Doug Ducey sent a letter to parents and teachersexplaining the progress on the budget, which includes teacher raises and more money to update curriculum, improve facilities, and increase support staff pay. The plan is expected to pass by Saturday and possibly as early as today.
#RedforEd says the legislature is not working fast enough and about 2:30 pm Wednesday, Arizona Educators United called for teachers to be at the Capitol again today.
The ripple effect is enormous as one million students are missing valuable time in the classroom and working parents are scrambling to find suitable childcare.
National Day of Prayer Activities at the Capitol Continue as Planned Today
Please be advised that the Capitol has confirmed that today’s National Day of Prayer Activities on the Capitol mall will continue as planned. You should plan extra time to park in designated parking areas and be prepared to do some walking.
Please press through the challenges and make every effort to come support National Day of Prayer and join with others to pray at the state Capitol today! It’s a critical time to be interceding for our state and nation. We hope to see you there!
- Dear Heavenly Father, we pray that YOUR people will not be deterred in coming to the state Capitol today to pray over the critical issues affecting our state and nation.
- We pray for an anointing upon those who will lead the National Day of Prayer and upon the pray-ers themselves. May our prayers be those that YOU are pleased to answer, prayers that bring glory and honor to YOUR name, and prayers that extend your kingdom.
- Lord, we pray for a spirit of peace and safety today as #RedforEd and National Day of Prayer share the Capitol mall. We call for YOUR tangible presence to be manifested and for all interactions to be with cooperation and mutual respect.
- God of all reconciliation, we pray for teachers and legislators to come into agreement quickly so that our teachers and students can be back in the classroom.
- In Jesus name, we declare that all communications between these groups will be accurate and with the intent only to bring about resolve and what is best for our teachers and students.
- Father, as YOU told us to pray for those in authority, we lift up Governor Doug Ducey and our legislators. We pray for YOUR Spirit of wisdom, peace, and unity, to rest upon them. Help our legislators find the best solutions and come into agreement regarding the budget they are working to pass right now so that they can best serve our students and teachers and all the people of Arizona. In Jesus’ Name, AMEN.
- Richard Cano and Anne Ryman and Lily Altavena, “Arizona teachers will walk out again Thursday…,”Arizona Republic, May 2, 2018.
- Office of the Governor Doug Ducey, “Governor Ducey Letter to Arizona Parents, Teachers and School Leaders,” May 1, 2018.