Could We Be the Generation to Reverse Roe v. Wade?
On Monday’s 45th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade, what is the likelihood of reversing this landmark decision? What needs to happen? How can we pray?
It was on Jan. 22, 1973 that the U.S. Supreme Court announced its 7-2 decision in Roe v. Wade: thus essentially legalizing abortion in all 50 states. This has perhaps been the most controversial law in US history.
Many people believe it is unlikely we will see the reversal of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court in our lifetime. And yet, for years, others have faithfully prayed, volunteered at pregnancy centers, adopted children, and repented for the grievous sin of abortion in our nation.
With several legal pathways in process that could reverse Roe v. Wade and with the possibility of four new Supreme Court justice appointees, this could be the generation to see pro-life laws once again reflect our godly values.
Views on Life are Changing
With the enormous advances in science and technology in the last 45 years since the Supreme Court ruling, life is winning one ultrasound at a time.
An annual report released Wednesday by The Marist Poll on Americans’ abortion views found that 63 percent of Americans now strongly support a ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy, up from 59 percent just a year ago. It is noteworthy that this increase reflects the attitudes of those who identify with both political parties.
The White House has declared today’s Roe v. Wade anniversary to be National Sanctity of Human Life Day, underscoring that “all life is sacred,” and President Trump became the first sitting president to address the March for Life rally, the major anti-abortion gathering held last Friday and annually since the first anniversary of Roe.
PRAISE REPORT: Arizona Named Most Pro-Life State
Arizona has been named the most pro-life state in the country by Americans United for Life. The anti-abortion group released its annual “Life List” last week, ranking states based on their legal protections of “human life from conception to natural death.” Arizona topped the list, up from fifth place last year. We thank God that He is answering our prayers, but we must not stop now!
- Heavenly Father, thank you for all those in our state who have prayed, worked, voted for and spoken out for protection of women and the un-born, leading to Arizona being named the most pro-life state in America!
- God of Mercy, we pray LIFE over those who have been hurt by abortion’s lie. We ask for healing, restoration, and redemption for those who have participated in abortion. We pray that Your people would extend grace and mercy to those who have experienced the pain of abortion and that the church would be a safe and loving place to find healing.
- Lord, we lift before you those children who have either survived abortion or were nearly aborted and call out to You for healing of the tremendous rejection they must overcome.
- Judge of all the Earth, we pray that You would set aside the next three to four justices who will fill the upcoming vacancies on the Supreme Court (in particular the seats of Justice Ruth Bader (age 84), Justice Anthony Kennedy (age 81), and Justice Steven Breyer (age 79) who have the greatest chance of retiring).
- Father, we pray for the passage of the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, a federal bill that prohibits abortion after 20 weeks. (The bill has passed the House and is awaiting action in the Senate.) We pray for the passage of state-level Heartbeat Bills that ban abortion once a heartbeat is detected at about 8 weeks. (If passed it will likely end up being heard by the Supreme Court).
- Lord, we lift before you those organizations fighting for life in the courts and in our culture. We ask You to empower the voice and work of these believers, that the powerless might find strength (Isaiah 40:29).
- We pray for the opportunity to revisit Roe v. Wade with a different outcome – life! We stand against the spirit of death associated with abortion and speak LIFE to our nation. God, we plead the blood of Jesus over our sins and the sins of our nation. Lord, end abortion and send revival to America. In Your name, Jesus. Amen
- Dustin Gardiner, “Arizona ranked most ‘pro-life’ state in U.S. by anti-abortion group” The Republic | azcentral.com, January 21, 2018.
- Jennifer Harper, “Trump proclaims Monday as ‘National Sanctity of Human Life Day,’ ” Washington Post, January 22, 2018.
- Lauren DeBellis, “March for Life reminds us that attitudes on abortion are changing-one beautiful ultrasound at a time,” Fox News, January 18, 2018.
- Lorraine Woellert, “Trump’s speech to March for Life marks a U-turn on abortion,” Politico, January 18, 2018.
- “Reversing Roe v. Wade, a Prayer Guide for the Pathway to Overturn Roe v. Wade,” Intercessors for America.