Effective Prayers in the Aftermath of Tragedy
With America still reeling in the aftermath of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, news of last Sunday night’s massacre in Las Vegas has brought our nation to further upheaval.
As Christians, our first response may be to pray away the pain or pray that this will never happen again. But how do we effectively pray beyond the fear, shock, and loss?
God desires not only to meet tangible needs, but to intervene over the bigger issues of the Kingdom.
- Heavenly Father, as this and other tragedies remind us of our nation’s vulnerability and our own mortality, draw multitudes to contemplate where they will spend eternity and bring them to faith in Jesus Christ.
- Lord, we pray for an unprecedented spiritual hunger and openness in people affected by the shooting in Las Vegas. We ask that YOU, Most Gracious God, would mobilize and empower YOUR church to reach out with tangible love to share the gospel and needed resources to those who are hurting, grieving, and experiencing trauma. (Hebrews 13: 20-21).
- Merciful and healing God, we hold before YOU the city of Las Vegas and all those affected by this shooting. Bring comfort to the family and friends of those who have lost loved ones, heal the injured and traumatized, and spare those with life-threatening wounds.
- We pray for the doctors and staff at University Medical Center of Southern Nevada and Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center (the major trauma centers treating the injured). Give them wisdom and grace as they care for the victims with compassion and skill.
- Heavenly Father, we thank YOU for YOUR mercy and for the quick and efficient response of law enforcement, which spared thousands of lives at the concert that might otherwise have been lost.
- We ask YOU for the safety and discernment of the law enforcement officials still looking into what happened. Bring to light the motives of the shooter and reveal all information needed for a thorough investigation. We declare YOUR word over this investigation, “There is nothing covered that will not be revealed and hidden that will not be made known. (Luke 12:2)
- We lift up our nation to YOU, LORD, as we reconcile with the hurt, anger, fear, and confusion in the aftermath of this tragedy. As we experience increased lawlessness in our streets, Lord, we call out to YOU. Bring revival and spiritual awakening to America and heal our land.