Urgent Call to Prayer for Hurricane “Irma” and North Korea
BridgeBuilders is issuing an URGENT CALL TO PRAYER over two looming storms approaching our nation: the growing Category 4 Hurricane “Irma” off the east coast, and the escalating nuclear threats from North Korea.
On the heels of the devastation of Hurricane Harvey, “Irma” is gaining strength and could become a rare Category 5 storm before landfall. The National Hurricane Center said there is an “increasing chance” that Irma could strike the U.S. East Coast as early as Saturday or Sunday.
Irma is estimated to produce sustained winds of 180 miles per hour. Only three storms of this magnitude have struck the United States in the last century. Irma is still days away from landfall and it is already producing winds of 140 mph.
The name “Irma” is of German origin, meaning “goddess of war”. Hurricane Irma could create yet more havoc before Texas and Louisiana can recover from Hurricane Harvey, a storm that produced a weather war of sorts, bringing death and destruction.
And just as the devastating force of Irma is coming dangerously close to our land, so also is the looming threat of nuclear war.
Just today, US Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, along with other world leaders, held an emergency UN Security Council meeting due to North Korea’s powerful nuclear weapons test on Sunday.
North Korea detonated a nuclear device claiming it was a hydrogen bomb that could be attached to a missile capable of reaching the mainland United States. This test came just six days after the council strongly condemned Pyongyang’s “outrageous” launch of a ballistic missile over Japan.
“North Korea is begging for war,” Ambassador Haley said in today’s meeting.
We need to stand together in united prayer with Christian networks across the nation, asking God for a supernatural turnaround!
We do not have to assume death and destruction will be the outcome of these two devastating scenarios. But in prayer, we can confront these deadly possibilities and release God’s SHALOM!
A big thanks to Elijah List Publications for permission to use a portion of an article by author and prophetic minister Garris Elkins, which appeared in their on-line publication. In the article, Elkins explains that this kind of authoritative prayer consists of three elements:
Declaring the Heart of God
When we declare the heart of God we are declaring His love over the people affected by war, disease and natural disaster. God does not bring harm and death to anyone. He is the God of resurrection life and freedom. Because we know God’s heart, we no longer have to assume that evil will carry the day. God has good intentions for all of humanity and He wants us to declare those good intentions over every tribe and nation.
Decreeing the Victory of Christ
When we decree the victory of Christ, we are issuing a Spirit-empowered statement that no weapon of evil formed against us will prosper. The Cross and the resurrection sealed the fate of darkness once and for all time. It is from that victory that our decrees are formed. We have been given the assignment to decree different outcomes on earth based on the authority gained by Christ and released through the Church in believing prayer.
Prophesying the Word of the Lord
When the Church begins to declare God’s heart and decree the victory of Jesus Christ, the Spirit will release revelation for us to speak into the situation for which we are contending in prayer. These prophetic words become like rudders steering potentially harmful situations away from us, causing them to line up with God’s will.
Decree Victory Over Developing Storms!
As “Irma” builds in intensity and as international tensions also increase over North Korea, You and I can make a difference! We have influence with GOD OUR FATHER through Christ. We can stand up and declare HIS Word and HIS heart over these two deadly situations. Take a stand in prayer and declare God’s Mercy and Shalom for the Caribbean, the East Coast of the United States, and the situation in North Korea.
- Heavenly Father, we declare that You are gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy (Psalm 145:8). You are the God of abundant life and don’t enjoy seeing anyone die (Ezek. 33:11, ERV). It’s not Your heart that anyone would be destroyed but that all would come to the saving knowledge of Jesus (2 Peter 3:9).
- Father God, we call upon Your mercy and ask forgiveness for our sins and the sins of our nation. Spare America from death and destruction and heal our land (2 Chronicles 7:14).
- We lift up our President and his advisors and declare that they will seek the wisdom that comes from above, that they will make right, godly, and decisive decisions that lead to peace with North Korea (James 3:17; 1Tim. 2: 1-2; ). Cause the ways of our leaders’ to please You, that even our enemies would be at peace with us (Prov. 16:7).
- Give our leaders favor and influence in building coalition with other world leaders to bring forth Your peace and protection over our nation and other nations of the world (Num. 6:25).Father, You said in Your Word that no weapon formed against us will prosper, and every tongue that would rise up against us in judgment, You will show to be in the wrong (Is. 54:17). As Your remnant in this nation, we call upon Your mercy to bring down the tyranny coming against America.
- Lord, we know that You raise up leaders and take them down; we ask, according to Your Word, that You change the heart of Kim Jong-un or remove him and his tyrannical regime from power (Prov. 21:1; Daniel 2:21).
- Just as Jesus spoke to the raging storm in Mark 4, we speak to Hurricane Irma and say, “Peace be still”. In Jesus’ name, we speak to the storm to turn away from populated areas and go back into the sea. In Jesus name, we take a stand in prayer and declare God’s Mercy and Shalom over the Caribbean, the East Coast of the United States, and the perilous situation with North Korea. AMEN.
- “Hurricane Irma strengthens to Category 4, ‘increasing chance’ could affect Florida’, ABC News, September 4, 2017.
- Brian McNoldy, “Hurricane Irma could strike U.S. East coast by next weekend, or it could curve out to sea,” the Washington Post,” September 4, 2017
- “North Korea leader ‘is begging for war,” Nikki Haley tells U.N. Security Council, Chicago Tribune, September 4, 2017.
- “In latest test, North Korea detonates its most powerful nuclear device yet,” The Washington Post, September 4, 2017.
- Garris Elkins, “Hurricane Irma and North Korea—Declare a supernatural turnaround!” Elijah List Publications, 528 Ellsworth St., SW, www.elijahlist.com. firstname.lastname@example.org, (1-541-926-3250), September 4, 2017.