President Trump Declares Sunday as National Day of Prayer
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
President Trump has declared Sunday as “A National Day of Prayer”— joining with Texas Governor Greg Abbott who has called on Texans to pray for recovery efforts and those suffering from Hurricane Harvey.
“As response and recovery efforts continue, and as Americans provide much-needed relief to the people of Texas and Louisiana, we are reminded of Scripture’s promise that ‘God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble,’ ” the proclamation states.
The President said it is appropriate “during times of great need to ask for God’s blessing and God’s guidance.” President Trump signed the declaration Friday after meeting with faith leaders in the Oval Office.
Hurricane Harvey, which made landfall near Rockport, Texas, on August 25 as a Category 4 storm has devastated communities, taking many lives, causing countless injuries, and totaling billions of dollars of damage. The whole nation grieves with Texas and Louisiana.
“We invite all Americans to join us as we continue to pray for those who have lost family members and friends, and for those who are suffering from this great crisis,” the President said in his remarks.
Please join with BridgeBuilders and Americans across our nation in responding to this call to prayer.
- Heavenly Father, we call upon You to comfort those who have lost family members, friends, and homes and all those who are suffering from this great crisis.
- We pray for the healing of individuals, the rebuilding of communities and the restoration of the entire region struck by the disaster.
- Protect our first responders, public safety officers, and military personnel involved in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey and help them to be successful in their response and recovery efforts.
- We thank You, Lord, for the churches and organizations offering support and resources to those struck by Hurricane Harvey. May there be an outpouring of donations so their relief efforts can continue.
- Thank you that in the midst of crisis, our nation is reaching out in acts of sacrificial love and service to bring help and healing to those in need. May thousands experience the love of Jesus and come to salvation in His Name.
- ‘God is Our Refuge and Strength’: President Trump Declares Sunday “A National Day of Prayer’, CBN.com, September 1, 2017.
- “Remarks by President Trump at signing of Day of Prayer Proclamation,”Press Release, Office of the Press Secretary, The White House, September 1, 2017
- Trump Declares ‘Day of Prayer’ for Harvey Victims, The Washington Times, September 1, 2017
- President Donald Trump signs a National Day of Prayer proclamation for victims of Harvey. Photo by Mike Theiler/UPI