Senate Confirmation Hearings Begin for Judge Neil Gorsuch
The confirmation hearings for Judge Neil Gorsuch to fill the vacated seat of the late Justice Anthony Scalia commenced this morning. Justice Scalia was known as a conservative and for his strict interpretation of the Constitution.
His replacement nominee Judge Gorsuch holds an exemplary record for his opinions and was unanimously confirmed by the Senate as a Federal Appellate Judge in 2006.
“Many evangelical leaders are excited that the president followed through on a pledge to appoint a pro-life justice” according to Abigail Robertson, in today’s BCN, Breaking Christian News
Controversy is expected during the hearings because, like Justice Scalia, Judge Gorsuch is also known for his strict interpretation of the Constitution and his pro-life stance. Currently, five Supreme Court Justices view that the Constitution protects a woman’s right to have an abortion. Judge Gorsuch’s confirmation will positively change the makeup of the Supreme Court adding another conservative and pro-life justice.
According to The Washington Post today, “Republicans intend to move quickly on confirming the 49-year-old Gorsuch, who sits on the Denver-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) said the plan is to have the full Senate vote on Gorsuch early next month so that he could be on the court for its final round of oral arguments in April.”
The Judiciary Committee will hold 3 – 4 days of hearings before moving the discussion to the full Senate.
Choosing Judge Scalia’s replacement is no small decision; the next justice will sit on the Supreme Court for as much as four decades!
- For Judge Gorsuch’s nomination to be confirmed swiftly. Dear Father, we ask that Judge Gorsuch’s nomination is passed swiftly and without fighting or dissent.
- For the mouths of Judge Gorsuch’s opposition to be closed just as the lion’s mouths were closed when Daniel spent a night in the lion’s den. Daniel 6: 19 – 22
At the first light of dawn, the king got up and hurried to the lions’ den. When he came near the den, he called to Daniel in an anguished voice, “Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to rescue you from the lions?”Daniel answered, “May the king live forever! My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, Your Majesty.”Father, we ask you to close the mouths of Judge Gorsuch’s accusers just as you closed the mouths of the lions.
- For there to be peace in both our minds and hearts during the confirmation hearings…knowing that you, God, are near.Philippians 4: 4 – 6
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.Dear Father, please quell any turmoil in our hearts, minds or spirits surrounding Judge Gorsuch’s appointment. Please remind us that with you nothing is impossible. You have called us to pray knowing that you will give us peace and that we do not need to be anxious about anything.
- For the media and individuals throughout Arizona to accurately report the news about Judge Gorsuch and for the light of truth to shine on any falsehoods.Zechariah 8: 16
These are the things that you shall do: Speak the truth to one another; render in your gates judgments that are true and make for peace; Father, it is so easy in the world we live in to knowingly or unknowingly speak or to believe falsehoods. Please give your people wisdom to separate the truth from the lies. Please help the news media in Arizona to speak only the truth on the matter of Judge Gorsuch’s confirmation hearings.
- For the swift overturn of Roe v. Wade and Doe v. BoltonDear Father, We are sorry that our land allows abortions and ask for your forgiveness on behalf of Arizona and our country. We lift up the unborn to you. Please spare their lives and change the law of Arizona and the nation to prohibit abortions.
- For your hand be on Judge Gorsuch, making him YOUR CHAMPION, to fight for the unborn and for religious freedom!
Thank you for praying!