Response to Supreme Court Ruling on Marriage
If My people who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
-2 Chronicles 7:14
Today’s U.S. Supreme Court decision to throw out the time-tested definition of marriage as only the union of one man and one woman challenges the biblical foundation of family and erodes the very bedrock our society.
Chief Justice Roberts, who voted against the ruling to redefine marriage, shared his heart with the American people regarding the 5-4 Court decision. “Who do we think we are?” Roberts said. “Today, the Court takes the extraordinary step of ordering every State to license and recognize same-sex marriage… for those who believe in a government of laws, not of men, the majority’s approach is deeply disheartening.”
The consequences to the Court’s decision are massive!
“With this ruling, the Supreme Court has set our government on a collision course with America’s cherished religious freedoms,” said Family Research Council President Tony Perkins.
The institution of the family is one of the Creator’s most marvelous and enduring gifts to humankind and the very foundation to social order. All the values we hold dear stand on that base: institutions, governments, prosperity, religious liberty and the welfare of our children. All are dependent on the stability of the family.
When the institution of family is weakened or undermined,
the entire superstructure begins to wobble.
– Dr. James Dobson
“Admittedly, there have been various societies in history where homosexuality has flourished, including the biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, in ancient Greece and in the Roman Empire,” Dobson said. “None of these civilizations survived.”
Today we bow before the Lord our Maker, asking forgiveness for the sins of our nation and calling upon Him to be merciful to us.
Regardless of the Supreme Court’s ruling, Christian leaders are speaking up and taking a stand for righteousness. Just as with Roe v. Wade in 1973, the courts will not have the final say on this profound social matter.
Even before today’s ruling, 40,000 pastors and church leaders had signed a pledge to stand for traditional marriage, even if the Supreme Court decided to legalize gay marriage. The civil disobedience campaign states that pastors will refuse to recognize gay marriage and accept whatever punishment may come with their stance.
“The U.S. Supreme Court can never change the fundamental truth that the lifelong union of one man and one woman is at the foundation of a strong state and nation,” said Center for Arizona Policy General Counsel, Josh Kredit.
“No court can overturn natural law, said Tony Perkins. “Nature and Nature’s God, hailed by the signers of our Declaration of Independence as the very source of law, cannot be usurped by the edict of a court, even the United States Supreme Court.”
Today BridgeBuilders calls on all Christians to continue to pray for our nation and for the restoration of our Creator’s design for marriage and family.
- Lord and Creator of all, we ask Your forgiveness for the sins of our nation in all the ways we have violated Your design for sexuality, marriage, and family. Raise up a cry of repentance within Your church on behalf of America and bring revival and healing to our nation and its families.
- We pray that the American people will stand up for their right to have a voice and a vote, especially as they experience the ways in which redefining marriage fundamentally impairs their freedom to live and work in accordance with their beliefs.
- We lift before You our nation’s local church pastors. Give them wisdom and courage to stand strong for God’s plan for marriage between one woman and one man. Help our pastors to guide and empower their church body to build healthy marriages and families.
- We pray for the impact this decision will have on business owners. Bless them and guide them as they take a stand for biblical marriage even though the consequences are great.
- Father, we pray for organizations like Center for Arizona Policy, Family Research Council, Alliance Defending Faith, and others which work to strengthen and defend biblical marriage, family, and religious liberties. Give them the wisdom, strategies, favor, and funds to continue their great work.
In Jesus’ name. Amen.
- BREAKING NEWS, Center for Arizona Policy on-line, June 26, 2015
- “Supreme Court’s Marriage Ruling is Shocking Abuse of Power, will Never Be Accepted,” Family Research Council, June 25, 2015
- Amber Phillips, “Same-sex Marriage,” Washington Post, June 26, 2015.